Thursday 3 October 2013

The 'Roman Holiday' Begins


Days that involve journeying to a new destination have always tended to be the most stressful when travelling.  Was worried about this one.  Train stations, crime, luggage, Roman taxi drivers with a bad reputation for ripping you off .... the unknown generally.

One really shouldn't worry until there is something to worry about! The day went perfectly smoothly.  Arrived in my simple room about 2.  Unpacked as I could with no drawers! Made brief contact with Sue, got the very helpful guy on the desk to mark in Mary and Sue's hotels and also the restaurant for tomorrow night on a map.  A gelato lunch in Piazza Navona with entertaining buskers and impressive sculptures.  Missed Sue with our restricted wifi and decided to see if I could find their hotel.  Pretty direct and not too far away, I impressed myself.  Sat in a bar on a nearby piazza enjoying a few drinks, nibbles and gravity defying performance art. I would NEVER do that in Australia.  Have gone beyond a few of my previous boundaries.  The challenges and achievements of solo travelling!





 
The aim was to get home before it was really dark, but kept getting distracted by markets, shops and lively piazzas.  Probably just after 7.30 I finally walked in. 

Anne and Mark fly in tomorrow and as they can't check in til the afternoon are planning on touching base here.  Pre wedding dinner tomorrow night, not too far from here, which is handy.  Won't play tourist until Monday.  A very exciting three days ahead.

3 comments:

  1. All Hail" the new adventurous Helen". Fun times ahead being with friends.Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear all went smoothly. Enjoy Roma, it really is an amazing city. Go Helen! Stretch the boundaries! Give my love to all. Have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm ... Hello ... It's past 7am Sydney time and my regular blog isn't up yet ... I hope you haven't been having too much fun with your friends!

    ReplyDelete