Saturday 28 September 2013

Venezia to Firenze


Another part of beautiful Italy!  
The journey was easy.  I was glad I had the training of 14 Paddington Easter ceremonies under my belt to stand in one spot under the departure display waiting for an hour and a half , to find out which platform my train was it leave from.  With Lisa, one would mind the bags while the other went for a wander.  With no seats around I stood in the one spot for 95 minutes.  Was definitely channeling the Easter vigil, but at least I had my bag to lean on!

The first class journey was pleasant and felt short after 20 hours in the air so recently.  Alas as the scenery got more interesting the fast train went through the mountain tunnels rather than let us enjoy the Tuscan Hills.  That will have to come on my day trip to Sienna on Tuesday.

The hotel was easy to find, having asked for instructions during the week. The position is great.  You step onto the footpath, turn left and there is the Duomo.  I don't have the lapping canal outside, or live music but I do have a wonderfully modern, nicely renovated, double, spacious room.  After my piccolo, very simple room, I was so excited  with the 'grande' space, the porter (cute and youngish), who is obviously a touchy, feely kinda guy, gave me a huge hug and a double European kiss in response to my enthusiasm for the room! Was glad I had my tip ready for him!  



 
Unpacked ... Drawers! How exciting! and went for a late afternoon orientation walk.  The cue at the duomo was short so went in.  Very simple really, which I prefer.  My aim was to find the river.  I hate maps.  I'm not great at reading them and have absolutely no hope these days without glasses. So I took a guess and indeed found the Arno.  I walked some blocks along it's bank with Ponte Vecchio coming into view.  Late afternoon reflections magnificent.  



 

 
Geography and landmarks came back to me a I returned to the hotel.  It had been a long time since breakfast so decided to have my first evening meal.  I have been having a big lunch and late afternoon gelato and skipped dinner.  But travelling in the middle of the day meant I hadn't eaten.  The 6th floor terrace looks over rooftops, towards the duomo.  Very lovely.  Pasta and a red hit the spot. 

 
Going to take advantage of the lovely big bath before sleep.  10.30 sung mass in the morning if my google search is right.  We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. It all sounds so lovely! I think you are navigating well. You stand out as a tourist if you are holding a map all the time. Enjoy the culture that abounds in Florence. lock everything in the safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Firenze. The city of renaissance. Sounds like you're staying in a great location! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo if you get a chance go and check out my favourite artwork ... It is in the Basilica San Lorenzo, the artwork is called St Joseph and Christ in the Workshop by Pietro Annigoni the first time I ever saw it was a print at Kincumber Phil Ledlin and I fell in love with it. Couldn't believe it when I chanced upon the original in Florence! Sobbed my heart out when I saw it!! Anyway, enjoy Sienna too ... So so jealous!

    ReplyDelete